Thursday, November 04, 2004

The New York Times Outdoes Itself

Classic NYT article today with the title: A Blue City (Disconsolate, Even) Bewildered by a Red America. We are fortunate enough here to have our friend Tolles to show us on a daily basis what liberal cocooning is like. For those who are unfamiliar with the concept, check out the following quotes from New Yorkers in the aftermath of this week's elections:


Some New Yorkers, like Meredith Hackett, a 25-year-old barmaid in Brooklyn, said they didn't even know any people who had voted for President Bush.


But trust me, they are more tolerant and inclusive than the redneck bigots out in the red states that voted 53-47 for Bush. Can you even imagine not knowing anyone who voted for Bush and thinking that you were more inclusive and open than others (but I'm getting ahead of the quotes).


Others spoke of a feeling of isolation from their fellow Americans, a sense that perhaps Middle America doesn't care as much about New York and its animating concerns as it seemed to in the weeks immediately after the attack on the World Trade Center.


Because no one could possibly care for NY and believe that President Bush wanted to agressively protect them from terror. It is obvious to these cocooned dingbats that anyone who votes Bush doesn't care about them.


"Everybody seems to hate us these days," said Zito Joseph, a 63-year-old retired
psychiatrist. "None of the people who are likely to be hit by a terrorist attack voted for Bush. But the heartland people seemed to be saying, 'We're not affected by it if there would be another terrorist attack.' "


You thought I was exaggerating didn't you. These are the people who are constantly telling us that troglodite conservatives see everything in black and white. But at least these are all simply internalized conceits and not active open sterotypes about midwesterners, right?


"I'm saddened by what I feel is the obtuseness and shortsightedness of a good part of the country - the heartland," Dr. Joseph said. "This kind of redneck, shoot-from-the-hip mentality and a very concrete interpretation of religion is prevalent in Bush country - in the heartland."


Oh. Well we all have our limitations based on regional perspectives, I guess.


"New Yorkers are more sophisticated and at a level of consciousness where we realize we have to think of globalization, of one mankind, that what's going to injure masses of people is not good for us," he said.


Wow, New Yorkers are simply better than all of us. It is becoming so obvious now. But surely this superiority is simply a function of their tolerant inclusiveness (I mean except for the part where they don't know any or understand the views of any conservatives), right?


"People who are more competitive and proficient at what they do tend to gravitate toward cities," he said.


Turns out they are better than us at their jobs, too. But midwesterners have that good old-fashioned common sense and rugged skepticism (the show-me state being an example), right?


His friend, Ms. Cohn, a native of Wisconsin who deals in art, contended that New Yorkers were not as fooled by Mr. Bush's statements as other Americans might be.
"New Yorkers are savvy," she said. "We have street smarts. Whereas people in the
Midwest are more influenced by what their friends say."


Well, slap a hog. I guess we are just a bunch of uneducated rubes, looking for a candidate who can trick us and hoping to hurt New Yorkers in the process. I never fully realized how I have no hopes or dreams, how anything I value can only be judged in relation to whether New Yorkers feel likewise, and how I am isolated from others and can only see my tiny, small-minded, religiously based, intolerant selfish views. Glad there are New Yorkers and, of course, the New York Times to straighten me out.

Allow me to let Ms. Cahme, a film producer who lunches at Elaine's and talks politics with local homeless people (I swear I didn't make that up) to sum up:


"When you're in a more isolated environment, you're more susceptible to some ideology that's imposed on you."


How true it is. Unfortunately, she was talking about the Midwest rather than the Upper East Side.


Update: Welcome fans of Ace and Dummocrats.

Here is a link to some other stuff you might find of interest.








13 Comments:

Blogger pooponastick said...

Best blog post I have read all day. Thank you.

5:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live on the Upper East Side. The last two days have been among the best of my life. You should see the derision I am viewed with when I walk around with my Bush/Cheney pin on my jacket. Priceless.

Dave k

6:09 PM  
Blogger ranter said...

Ditto best post of the day.

I read that article earlier, and of course every liberal blogger out there is saying the same thing: we're smarter, those hicks just don't understand.

6:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

""People who are more competitive and proficient at what they do tend to gravitate toward cities," he said."

Right - then this moron will have no problem "proficiently" growing his own damn food in a window box. Maybe he'll "proficiently" go mine some iron ore at the local landfill, or "proficiently" grow some timber down at the Taxi stand.

Dumbass twit...

6:26 PM  
Blogger F15C said...

Bwaahahahahaha... You can't make up stuff this good. These people are as far from having a clue as the laws of physics allow. Gotta go. Got some pigs to slop.

7:19 PM  
Blogger Judith said...

I live on the Upper West Side. Over the past year I located and befriended a group of about 50 liberal New Yorkers voting for Bush, mostly through blog contacts. I know what it's like. There are actually a fair number of us, but most of us stay in the closet for personal or professional reasons.

I organized about 10 of these folks to go to PA and NJ to GOTV for Bush. Whenever I wore my pins I met more.

Yes, most NYers are very parochial and insular, but they think they are so worldly and sophisticated.

10:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Factor wants to slow it down a bit:

Let me go on record as saying partisans freak me out. I don't understand conservative haters anymore than I understand liberal haters. I've seen lack of understanding for the opposing side's ideology on both sides. You hear just as much, "I don't know anyone that voted for Bush," when more than half the voting populace clearly did as you hear, "Bush won by a landslide! The liberals are out of touch!" even though the margin of victory in the presidential race was less than 3%. The people that really freak me out are the ones that treat their political party as a sports team, that concern themselves only with wins and not necessarily with real results. The Democrats were psyched about 8 years of Clinton, but what really got done? There's a lot of Republicans that are ecstatic about Bush's win and the corresponding Senate and House seats, but what will it mean in the end? The victories don't accomplish anything in themselves.
It seems like the large number of fringe voters that are only concerned with their "team" winning the "game" is growing. Personally, I don't see how any given person could identify 100% with a very inflexible ideology as "liberlism" and "conservativism" are. Ultimately as long as voters remain in these narrow camps in large numbers, nothing's going to actually get done. And I don't think that is good for anyone.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Harberman said...

Hey Factor-man:

I agree 100% that people are too emotionally engaged in politics. But don't forget what Herm Edwards said-- YOU PLAY... TO WIN... THE GAME. And as long as we're confusing politics with sports, do you remember how close all those Patriots wins were? How 21 teams enjoyed "moral victories" by playing them close? Bullshit. At least the liberals, despite their hateful whining and posturing, have one thing right-- there's only one stat that matters, and in this case, it's the L.

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh you had to go and use the freakin' Patriots as your example! Are you trying to hurt my feelings?

2:01 PM  
Anonymous bad credit home equity line said...

A

9:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice site!
[url=http://fsguxtil.com/ddbq/fixp.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://vtvccqrs.com/voye/uefv.html]Cool site[/url]

5:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!
My homepage | Please visit

5:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work!
http://fsguxtil.com/ddbq/fixp.html | http://tcqdzslo.com/xojn/zmre.html

5:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on Blogwise