Tuesday, November 02, 2004

U-S-A! U-S-A!

So I voted today. Took about an hour--to be expected, I guess. Sometimes I think the process would be sped up if we did it the way they do where the privilege is a little less taken for granted--you know, like the newer Central African "democracies" where you're accompanied to the voting booth by a man in a beret and black fatigues carrying a semiautomatic weapon. I bet those people have their minds made up before they get to the front of the line.

I always like voting in the same way that I sort of like going to the DMV--you get to see people you don't normally run across. Like the dude in front of me who was wearing no small amount of lipstick and eyeliner. I'm cool with that; I just wish I had been able to stand in front of him rather than behind him. You see, from behind, he was actually kinda hot-- really tight jeans and this sort of AC/DC schoolboy look that would've been super hot on a chick. Too bad he wasn't a chick. So I had to spend the whole time in line reminding myself not to check out the GUY in front of me. The rest of my voting experience in a nutshell:

Main Lowlight: I didn't get an "I Voted Today" sticker. What the hell is that about? I pay taxes, and I expect to see my tax dollars at work.

Main Highlight: Seeing my "How Things Work" (physics for history majors) Professor from college go absolutely ballistic on a kid from MoveOn.org. Here's the exchange:

MoveOn Kid: "Excuse me, sir, did a representative from MoveOn.org contact you?"

My Professor: "Yes."

MoveOn Kid: "Do you mind if we ask who you're voting for so we can check you off our list?"

My Professor (screaming): "None of your god damned business! You're not checking me off anything!"

Me: "Whoa."

The worst part about this whole episode was that after Professor K. tore into the poor MoveOn kid, he got right behind me in line and spent the next forty-five minutes expelling the most horrendous flatulence I've ever smelled. Or was that the sweet smell of freedom? No, I think it was gas.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure that, based on your Professor Katz's own webpage, I know for whom he is voting. That was an awkward sentence.

- Arianna

6:34 PM  
Blogger Tolles said...

Awkward, or just nonsensical and devoid of grammatical structure?

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on Blogwise