Thursday, March 10, 2005

Women and Sports

Two nights ago I had a litmus test. I wanted to watch some sports and my choice was between two basketball games: Oakland vs. Oral Roberts (men) or U Conn vs. Rutgers for the women's big east championship. Turned out the decision wasn't even hard: I would rather watch bad men's teams in a division I know nothing about than good women's teams in a championship game.

I am not alone in this. Every guy I have talked to about it has agreed (as did my wife). Yet, ESPN goes out of their way to report on and cover women's sports. I don't get it. On the other hand, stories like this might entice me (though probably not my wife).

JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) - South Africa's female football team will be coached in
etiquette and given tighter T-shirts in a drive to soften their image and
attract sponsorship ahead of a 2007 World Cup bid. FIFA President Sepp Blatter last year courted controversy when he urged women players to wear tighter shorts to distinguish them from men.

Ah yes, act like a lady. And wear this crop top baby T with these short shorts. Only in America...
Obviously they can't wear skirts on pitch...

That didn't seem obvious to me. Heels, I think would clearly be out, but skirts could work. On to the money quote:
The efforts to soften the team's image are part of a drive to attract hot
new talent to the team...

Excellent.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tolles said...

You don't get the marketing drive behind women's sports? It's gotta be as simple as trying to build an audience. If ESPN is talking about the Billings She-Gophers and their colossal smack-down of the Couer D'Alene Marmots, maybe viewers will start to say, "Hey...I gotta check out a She-Gophers game sometime."

Or not. As someone who watches two basketball games a year (both Men's games), I'm really not the person to ask about basketball markteting.

Also...the "Only in America" bit...am I missing a joke here? Doesn't that article clearly say Johannesberg, South Africa?

12:19 PM  
Blogger Max Power said...

Yeah, it is an old Yogi Berra quote.

12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on Blogwise